What will board members do?
- Ensure that the network’s activities and transactions are, first and foremost, advancing its mission and adhering to its charter. This may include contributing to the development of network governing documents and upholding these documents.
- Actively implement actions and initiatives in service of the SCTN strategic plan
- Support the Network Weaver by serving as a sounding board, providing strategic guidance, and collaborating on projects led by the Weaver (e.g., planning convenings), and being a secondary point of contact for SCTN members looking to connect with Network Leadership, as appropriate.
- Attend regular meetings (ranging from weekly to monthly, based on Board needs).
- Between meetings, the Board executes action items from the previous meeting.
- The estimated time commitment is 5-10 hours per month.
- Actively seek opportunities for the SCTN to increase its value to members and impact.
- Ensure prudent use of all assets, including facility, people, and goodwill.
- Assisting with fundraising strategy and implementation.
- Champion the Network externally.
- Commit to a one-year term with the option to renew
What are the criteria for selecting new Board members?
Candidates should have:
- A demonstrable interest and experience with science communication training (diverse types of experiences with this broad topic are welcomed).
- Contribute perspectives that are not well-represented on the board (e.g., background, identity, expertise, affiliation) and that do represent members of the network
- Clearly articulated motivation for joining the Board.
- Preferred: demonstrable interest or experience in fundraising, developing business models, managing budgets, strategic planning, network dynamics, or community building to join.
How will we select the new board?
We welcome applications from those who have been part of the SciComm Trainers community as well as those who would like to become more active within the Network. Applications will be due on October 22. Apply Here
- October 11, 2021 – Applications open for submission
- October 22, 2021 – Applications are due
- October 29, 2021 – Core team will share proposed Board members for feedback from the Network
- November 5, 2021 – Feedback on the proposed Board members is due
- November 8, 2021 – New Board is Announced and begins to serve